- Time For Change Week 2018
- Climate Change and Security
- Water & Health: Global and Local Perspectives
- Advanced Biobased Systems Workshop: Pipeline to Commercialization
- Sustainability through Reinvention
- Continuing the Sustainability Conversation: Discounting the Future
- CURA Speaker Series: Christopher A. Impellitteri
- CURA Speaker Series: William Hunt
- World Water Day at Ohio State
Climate Change and Security
Mershon Center Speaker Series
Climate Change and Security: What Do We Know?
3:30 - 5 p.m. Wednesday, March 21, 2018
Mershon Center for International Security Studies
1501 Neil Avenue, Room 120
Joshua Busby, an associate professor at the LBJ School of Public Affairs at the University of Texas-Austin, will present this lecture for the Mershon Center Speaker Series. While the modern literature on environmental security dates back to the late 1980s, the study of climate change and security began in the mid 2000s. After nearly fifteen years of study, what do we know about the links between climate change and security? Answering this question requires a conceptual understanding of what we mean by security, dis-aggregating the many processes affected by climate change, and the causal pathways between climate and security outcomes. Present at the creation of this new field, Busby draws on his own research and the wider research findings to discuss where we are, where this literature is headed, and what might be done to address the real security consequences associated with climate change.